Monday, March 26, 2012

Bouncies - Handmade Magic Imported from Germany

A few weeks ago my friend stopped by the Village on her way home from work. Like everyone who passes through our door, she stopped first at the Bouncy display. Having heard so much about our best seller she was curious what the fuss was all about. 
"So, they bounce..." she said, her nose scrunched up. "I mean, that's it?" 



I don't fault her skepticism. It's hard for many in our generation to fathom the entertainment value of anything that's not an i-Something or requires an electrical cord. 

I grabbed my personal favorite (and a Village original) the flamingo and handed it over. "Just try it." My friend took hold of the toy and let it drop. Then, like many before, her eyes lit up with delight as the flamingo took a plunge and bounced back up. 

"Oh!" She exclaimed. She had been officially initiated into the Bouncy Fan Club. While I helped other customers over the next 30 minutes my friend continued to test out Bouncy after Bouncy. "I don't know why, but they're just so much fun!" she finally admitted. 


Bouncies are without a doubt one of our top sellers. Their carousel in the front window draws crowds in on Saturday mornings during the farmers market. They've been used as baby shower gifts, wedding displays and even desk toppers. I think their appeal is exactly why my friend was skeptical in the first place: In an age when I now have to charge my books before reading it's kind of nice to have something that doesn't require a plug or, even better, back light. Each Bouncy is handmade in Germany. There's a kind of love and pride that goes into handmade toys that you certainly can't find in an iPod. Admit it, even with Siri, doesn't your iPhone seem kind of...souless? 

Sure, each Bouncy is handmade of quality materials and has a beautiful, detailed design. But really, the truth of their appeal is really much simpler: Bouncies, you see, are made of some sort of magic. 

How else would you describe this? 



Pick  up a Bouncy at our downtown Sarasota store today. One for $15 or two for $25. 

No comments:

Post a Comment