Friday, May 18, 2012

An Afternoon In Burns Court


This afternoon I took some time to explore Burns Square. A newbie to Sarasota (the 24th of May will mark six months!) my roommate was quick to fill me in that this was the "artsy" quarter of Sarasota. Burns Court, which houses the local independent cinema, was first built when John Ringling rolled into town to house the little people who performed in his circus. The houses were built smaller and today still resemble the beautiful architecture of the turn of the century.

Main Street is always full of action and has everything from toy stores to fine dining. But on a quiet afternoon Burns Square is perfect for a quiet stroll in search of treasures.

I started at Starflower Essentials, an all organic skin care line made with the freshest of ingredients. The sales woman, Vera, was warm and welcoming and if there was chance the stores products could give me her glowing skin I was all aboard! I walked away with the Rose Almond Exfoliant and Mask. It's made with essential oils and crushed almonds and promises to "leave skin moisturized and silky smooth". I'll have to keep you updated on the results but I can't wait to try it at home tonight before bed.

My next stop was Delight. I love this store because what isn't a chic item from a designer label (for an unbelievable price) is made from re-purposed fabric. There's a beautiful bohemian dress made of sheer fabric and scarves I've had my eye on for a while. A selection of the store's items is also available at the Farmer's Market each weekend.

I had just a few moments left to make it to my shift at European Focus but I had to check out the Tortoise & Pearl. This store is simply exquisite. It had everything from gorgeous vintage tea cups to hand crafted jewelry. I am definitely going back to pick up some of the vintage decor pieces but with only a few minutes I barely had time to grab a steel heart and wings wall hanging and a hand drawn birthday card for my sister.

Main Street is the perfect shopping destination if you're looking for a gift, new outfit or something to eat. But occasionally it's nice to get out and meet the neighbors. Once you've stopped by to tell us hello wander down orange and check out what the quaint stores of Burns Square have to offer.

We'll be waiting at 1469 Main Street to hear what you thought. And as always, at www.efvillageshop.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment